Coat of arms of forbach

Description : Argent, a Lion rampant Sable, armed and langued with gules.

 

origine : Forbach comes from the Frankish Fuerboch and it describes the situation of the town: a stream (Bach) close to a forest (Forst). The castle is built on the hill of Schlossberg at the end of the 12th century. Johann Fischart, a prolific satirical writer, nicknamed the German Rabelais, was bailiff of the castle of Forbach from 1583 to 1590. As for the whole area, the Thirty Years War was particularly painful and devastating. In 1697, the Treaty of Ryswick restored the rights of Duke Leopold 1rst of Lorraine and put an end to the League of Augsbourg War. In 1738, was born in Forbach Jean-Nicolas Houchard, future general of the Revolution, whose name is engraved on the vault of the Arch of Triumph in Paris. From the middle of the 19th century, three important families signed the industrial development of Forbach’s area and influenced the local socio-political and socio-economic life: the Wendel, the Couturier and the Adt. But the last decades of the 19th century are also marked by the Battle of Spicheren on the 6 August 1870 and its consequences.